I love dessert!

Another pottery prized possession...

first batch of dessert plates made!

So I've been busy lately (planning a wedding--for me!) and have finally found the time to add an entry that came from our BIG DAY. I wanted to share with you my latest and largest production of hand built porcelain dessert plates with my assistant (my now husband!).

For this project I had to take it to another studio from my usual Neighborhood Potters on Fairmount Avenue, to Manayunk Pottery with Janice Strawder. I enjoyed open studio with my now husband as my studio assistant. We were able to take away with us 105 of 109 dessert plates (we lost four during the glaze fire, great odds!) for our guests to use for dessert and take home. 

It was the first time I actually took notes of glaze tests and glaze techniques. The dessert plates consisted of three patterns: a plain plate that was splatter patterned during glazing, a small pebble stamp, and a large pebble stamp around the borders. Each plates was an approximate 6" square with matte turquoise glaze that was then dipped in a clear glaze to get the deeper teal that was closer to our accent color for our BIG DAY. Each plate was stamped underneath with a special "e | t" stamp created last spring, letter pressed with "PHILA, PA"and a number. Numbering definitely kept us on track of how many we were on, as well as a special indication of which batch they came from. With some of the additional porcelain left over, I created some pendants as well as porcelain pieces that ended up as accents in my hair on the BIG DAY.

Enjoy some of the process photos, and let me know if you have any questions!

Studio Assistant (The Hubs) waxing plates

Working on my porcelain hair accents
(these will be shared in another upcoming post)

Test Tiles, bottom-middle tile was THE ONE

Plates waiting to be bisque fired.

Say Hello

Name

Email *

Message *

visitors